Is A Matcha Whisk Necessary To Make Matcha?
Do I need a whisk to enjoy and prepare my matcha at home?
One of the questions we get so very often is “How do I prepare my matcha at home?” and “Do I really need that whisk?” The answer is not a simple “yes or no” but rather an “it depends.”
Understanding the Traditional Whisk
Traditional matcha is prepared with a bamboo whisk, called a chasen. This whisk is carved from one piece of bamboo and is uniquely designed to aggravate the finely ground tea leaves until they are fully suspended. Using a “W” or “M” motion, you simply mix your matcha in your bowl (called a chawan) until the matcha is frothy and thus suspended. (NOTE: because matcha is the entire tea leaf, it will never dissolve. Once mixed, some settling may occur.)
This way of matcha preparation dates back some 500+ years, however, it does not lend itself to anyone with a busy lifestyle. Therefore, we’ve simplified a few things for you.
Here are some easy ways to prepare matcha on the go
- Shake it - Our premium grade matcha (both flavored and unflavored) works great when you simply add it to your water bottle and give it a good SHAKE. Put it in a plastic disposable bottle when you’re out-and-about or put it in your favorite tumbler before you leave the house, just remember to shake it throughout the day because settling of the tea leaves will occur.
- Blend it - Want something a little creamier, thicker, sweeter? Toss equal parts matcha and sugar (or your favorite sweetener) add some milk and VOILA you have a latte! This is harder to achieve in the simple shake method but once it’s all blended up, toss it in your bottle and you are good to go. (NOTE: if you want your latte to be a little bit sweeter, add a little more sugar or try less matcha. The ratio is unique to everyone).
- Whisk it - Don’t have a bamboo whisk at home? Use a regular old kitchen whisk - t’s that easy.
- Froth it - Making a latte and there’s no time for the blender? Don’t worry we’ve got you covered! With this fun, yet simple milk frother all you have to do is add your matcha, sweetener (optional) and insert the frother. (NOTE: this does not heat up the milk, just stirs the content.)
Those are just some of our favorite way to prepare matcha without a whisk. But why stop there? You could always…
- Add it to your smoothie - With 10x the amount of antioxidants as normal green tea, matcha is a great addition to all of the other great fruits and veggies you’re already adding to your morning smoothies.
- Sprinkle it on top of your favorite snack - Matcha is an excellent addition to yogurt (regular or greek), oatmeal, cottage cheese, ice cream, pudding, applesauce. The list is endless.
- Cook with it - Add our cooking grade matcha to your favorite recipes.
Remember, these are just some of the many ways that you can prepare and enjoy matcha at home without your own chasen. Matcha is an amazing and versatile stone ground tea that can be prepared in so many simple ways. If you have any matcha questions, don’t hesitate to reach out!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.