Raw Cacao vs Cocoa: What's the difference?
Although both words might look the same at first glance, cacao and cocoa are two very different things. At 3 Leaf Tea, we use only organic, raw cacao for all of our signature hot chocolate blends. Why? Because we believe that each ingredient should be as close to nature as possible.
Cacao (ca·ca·o) powder is cold pressed.
- Raw cacao is made by cold pressing an unroasted bean. We believe that this low-heat process helps retain more enzymes and antioxidants in the finished product.
- Cold pressing the bean versus using heat means that raw cacao is in the purest, most unprocessed form.
- Raw cacao powder is rich in nutrients including magnesium, antioxidants, heart-healthy fats and protein.
Cocoa (co·coa) powder is processed with high heat.
- Once the bean is harvested, it's fermented then roasted at high temperatures.
- Using high heat breaks down the molecular structure which can decrease the level of important nutrients.
- Cocoa powder is more processed than raw cacao. Dutch processed cocoa uses an alkaline solution to reduce acidity.